The formal training program is the responsibility of the OCVN coordinator or committee managing the program. Instructors are OSU faculty, ODNR professionals, Extension Specialists, Extension Associates, experienced Volunteer Naturalists, and other experts.
The training program is to provide a balanced, integrated practical course in natural resource science. Classes will begin Thursday September 7th time: TBD and will be every Thursday ending on Thursday November 9th. There are a few exceptions to this.
The following are the Core Topics:
(Other topics based on local needs may also be part of the curriculum.)
- Insects and other Macroinvertebrates
- Reptiles & Amphibians
- Ecological Concepts
- Effective Education Practices
- The Art of Nature Interpretation
- Exploring Ohio's Watersheds
- Aquatic Life
Volunteer Naturalist Certification Requirements:
- 40 hours of combined classroom and field instruction
- 40 hours of approved volunteer service projects.
After certification, requires 20 hours volunteer service and 8 hours advanced training annually.
Fillable Form/ Printable Application
To complete please fill out the fillable OCVN application HERE. Email completed applications to email@example.com or mail them to 705 Oakwood St. Suite 103, Ravenna, OH 44266.
- If you are accepted to take the class, payment for the class will be due by August 29, 2023.
- The cost of this course is $225. The cost covers training books, handouts, speaker fees and other expenses related to the course.