HOW DO I BECOME A PORTAGE COUNTY MASTER GARDENER VOLUNTEER? (STEPS DONE IN ORDER)
- Complete the Master Gardener Volunteer Application
- Schedule an interview with the Portage County MGV Program Coordination to discuss the MGV program and expectations for Ohio State University Extension volunteers.
- Pass a background check. Information and the process will be provided to you during your interview.
Once you complete the first three steps you will need to take the 50 hour training this course that starts on TBD
- After the training course is completed, you will become an intern for the program. You can begin to participate in Portage County Master Gardener activities.
- To become an active Portage County Master Gardener Volunteer, you must also do the following:
- Complete 50-hour volunteer commitment on approved Portage County Master Gardener volunteer projects.
- Steps A must be completed within one calendar year after the completion of the training course to become an active Portage County Master Gardener Volunteer.
I ALREADY RECEIVED MY MG TRAINING. CAN I JOIN THE PORTAGE COUNTY MASTER GARDENER ASSOCIATION?
Yes, if you are a member in good standing with another state or county association, you can switch your membership to Portage County’s Association.
HOW DO I CONTINUE AS AN ACTIVE MASTER GARDENER?
To stay active, you must do the following every year:
- Pay your county dues of $25.
- Complete 20 hours of volunteer time on pre-approved Master Gardener projects.
- Complete 10 hours of pre-approved, by Portage OSUE staff, training in horticulture
PORTAGE COUNTY MASTER GARDENER TRAINING CLASS OF 2024
Portage County Master Gardener Volunteers are now accepting applications for the 2024 training class. The training consists of 50 hours of education in all aspects of gardening, plant health, soil fertility, and basic biology. Classes will begin TBD time: TBD
There are a few exceptions to this.
How to apply:
Option 1: Apply Online (Preferred)
Step 1: Register for a Volunteer Account HERE.
Step 2: Once you create an account, open the MGV Application under the Forms tab at the top of this page (use the link HERE after you create your account).
Once you complete the application Portage County Extension office staff will contact you.
Option 2: Fillable Form/ Printable Application
All applications will be reviewed followed by a zoom or in-person interview.
If you are accepted to take the class, payment for the class will be due by TBD
The cost of this course is $225. The cost covers training books, handouts, speaker fees and other expenses related to the course.
Complete the application and Portage ANR Educator will contact you.
If you have any questions please call our office at 330-296-6432.